[R-sig-ME] Failure to load lme4 on Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Jul 17 02:14:57 CEST 2010

Daniel,

On Jul 16, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Daniel Myall wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> The machine I'm primarily testing on has Mac OS X 10.6.4 with Xcode 3.2.2 (using gcc-4.2.1).

Yes, that setup works, but SL binaries are incompatible with Leopard so that doesn't help.

> The log from R CMD check is included below. I don't have any Leopard installs around anymore, although I am setting up a virtual machine with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Xcode 3.1.4 to hopefully reproduce the bug.

Can you tell me what are you using for that? I could use that myself :). I'm not aware of any VM so far that can run OS X 10.5.8 client as guest OS...

> If there is a bug in Mac OS X 10.5.8 or Xcode 3.1.4 resulting in the two errors in the tests that have so far been seen,  I am curious as to why it is only being exhibited with lme4. Once the VM has installed I'll play around with compile-time optimisations of lme4 to see if they are exposing the bug.

It's not clear that the bug is on OS X or Xcode - it may or may not - from experience the issue is quite often a real bug but it can be masked other things such as memory layout, optimizations etc. I strongly suspect that in the current case since the result depends on the preceding code so it may be something like an uninitialized variable or so. We had both before, but lme4 is the only one failing in the current setup...

Cheers,
Simon