[R-sig-ME] Failure to load lme4 on Mac

Daniel Myall daniel.lists at zeno.co.nz
Sat Jul 17 10:50:06 CEST 2010

I've done some further testing (R 2.11.1) and the issue is not limited
to Leopard.

Using the test:

library(lme4)
y <- (1:20)*pi
x <- (1:20)^2
group <- gl(2,10)
for (i in 1:10) {
   M1 <- lmer (y ~     x + (    x | group))
   M2 <- lmer (y ~     x + (    x | group))
   print(identical(M1,M2))
}

For CRAN lme4 and Matrix:

32 bit on Leopard: R CMD check fails; different results (on most runs)
32 bit on Snow Leopard: R CMD check passes; different results (on some
runs).
64 bit on Snow Leopard: R CMD check passes; identical results

For SVN version of Matrix with CRAN lme4:

32 bit on Snow Leopard: different results (on all runs).
64 bit on Snow Leopard: different results (on all runs)

For SVN version of Matrix with SVN lme4a:

32 bit on Snow Leopard: different results (on all runs).
64 bit on Snow Leopard: identical results

I couldn't reproduce on Linux 32/64bit. Is it time to jump into valgrind
to try and find the cause?

Cheers,
Daniel