[R-sig-ME] Using mixed-effects modelling to estimate between- and within-Ss variance in an effect

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at dal.ca
Wed Jul 7 18:46:00 CEST 2010

Sorry, "Ss" is an old Psych term for "Subjects", the repeated measures unit.

An example can be found in the ANT data set from the "ez" package. In
that data set is the trial-by-trial record of a (fake) experiment
involving 20 Ss (identified by column sid) who are performing a target
identification task. Response time (RT) and accuracy are measured
performance variables. There are two dependent variables (DVs) of
interest: cue (4 levels) and flanker (3 levels). The DVs are
factorially combined within each Ss, and each cell of the 4x3
combination table is repeated 12 times (randomly distributed through
time, which is indexed by the block and trial columns). Ss are
additionally divided into two groups, treatment and control.

In a study like this, I would typically set the "Center Cue" and
"Congruent Flanker" as the first levels of the cue and flanker
factors, respectively, which allows me to do a mixed effects model:

acc_fit = lmer(
    formula = acc ~ group*cue*flank + (1|sid)
    , family = 'binomial'
    , data = ANT
)

One question might be whether the "Center cue versus no cue" effect
has a different between-Ss variance than the "Center cue versus
spatial cue" effect. Or maybe we might be interested in whether those
effects have different within-Ss variance. Or possibly we might be
interested in comparing the between-Ss variance in the "Congruent
Flanker versus Incongruent Flanker" effect between the 2 groups of Ss
(or, similarly comparing the within-Ss variance of those effects
between the groups).

I guess this description suggests that I'm not only interested in
estimating between- and within-Ss variance, but also comparing such
estimates, which raises the question of how such comparison might be
reasonably achieved...

Mike