[R-sig-ME] Is anyone using the lmList() function in the lme4 package?

lancelot renaud.lancelot at cirad.fr
Sat Jun 26 21:00:01 CEST 2010

I use it - more for exploratory analysis than to get starting estimates,
to decide what might be a good starting point for the random structure
of (g)lmm's. It is also very convenient to explain the concepts of mixed
models, e.g. with MSc students with a biological background. Indeed, I
would miss the lmList function if it was removed from future versions of
lme4.

All the best,

Renaud

Douglas Bates a écrit :
> When we wrote the nlme package we tried to be very careful about
> starting estimates and created the lmList function to allow evaluation
> of coefficients from within-group linear fits.  It turns out that it
> is most useful for longitudinal data where there are enough
> observations on each subject to do within-subject fits; that is, for
> data like the sleepstudy data.  Subsequent developments have made it
> easy enough to fit the mixed model reliably without needing a lot of
> preliminary work to get starting estimates.  (Similarly, the
> groupedData class was a good idea at the time but no longer
> necessary.)
>
> Would anyone miss the lmList function if it was removed from future
> versions of lme4?

Renaud Lancelot
EDEN Project, coordinator
http://www.eden-fp6project.net/

UMR CIRAD-INRA "Contrôle des maladies animales exotiques et émergentes"
Joint research unit "Control of emerging and exotic animal diseases"

CIRAD, Campus International de Baillarguet TA A-DIR / B
F34398 Montpellier
http://umr-cmaee.cirad.fr/

Tel.  +33 4 67 59 37 17  -  Fax  +33 4 67 59 37 95
Secr. +33 4 67 59 37 37  - Cell. +33 6 77 52 08 69