[R-sig-ME] Fwd: lme4, lme4a, and overdispersed distributions (again)

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 25 01:11:56 CEST 2010

I think it more accurate to say that, in general, there may be
a class of distributions, and therefore a possible multiplicity
of likelihoods, not necessarily for distributions of exponential
form.  This is a PhD thesis asking to be done, or maybe
someone has already done it.

Over-dispersed distributions, where it is entirely clear what the
distribution is, can be generated as GLM model +  one random
effect per observation.  We have discussed this before.  This
seems to me the preferred way to go, if such a model seems to
fit the data.  I've not checked the current state of play re fitting
such models in lme4 of lme4a; in the past some versions have
allowed such a model.

I like the simplicity of the one random effect per observation
approach, as against what can seem the convoluted theoretical
framework in which beta binomials live.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm