[R-sig-ME] problem using lmer with family = Gamma

Rafael Mares crm53 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 14 11:54:48 CEST 2010

Hi David

Thank you very much for your reply.  I have tried the options you
suggest, and it seems to me that the Box-Cox transformation does a
good job of normalizing the data, but I would rather not transform the
response variable, based on Zuur et al's data exploration protocol
(2010) - which seems to suggest that in my case, differences in time
spent sniffing between the control and treatment may be made smaller
after transformation.

Do you think a transformation would be preferable over using Gamma
errors in my case?  Possibly a difficult question to answer not having
seen the raw data, but maybe there is something about mixed models in
lmer with Gamma errors that I am completely missing.

Thanks again for your help.
All the best,

Raff

--