[R-sig-ME] Random vs Fixed effect correlations

Shujuan Feng fengsj at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 8 19:25:20 CEST 2010

I was confused about the correlation between fixed coefficients. I am still
not very sure about it.....

One thing is that the correlations between fixed coefficients also exist in
the model without random effects. It is more like: how one coefficient
estimate influence the other coefficient estimate. (We get point fixed
estimate, but a fixed coefficient have a distribution and can vary (CIs).)
Strong correlations between fixed coefficients may show there is
collinearity between the predictors.

I may be totally off. I am in the process of learning, too.