[R-sig-ME] Random vs. fixed effects

William Morris wkmor1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 05:51:17 CEST 2010

For what its worth, I would take approach 3.

Others have pointed this out before, but I think strict adherence to the 'random' vs 'fixed effects' nomenclature can sometimes do us a disservice. For me I find it easier to think of my multilevel models as having some parameters I allow to vary and some that I don't, or, some parameters are themselves modelled, some aren't.

Bayesianly, I think of the level above my modelled parameter as a prior. This prior can be relatively informative or uninformative, when the number of groups contributing to the modelled parameter is low then this prior is likely to be relatively uninformative. But nonetheless probably still useful. Yes, the estimated posterior mode for the variance is likely to be underestimated but this is only a problem if I ignore the rest of its distribution. The uncertainty around the estimate of the variance is likely to be very large and in fact will allow for unrealistically large values. This assumes I have specified a flat prior on the variance, but it can be ameliorated if I instead apply an appropriate half-Cauchy.

In most cases I would treat grouping variables with more than two levels as a single parameter allowed to vary by group, either as a component of an intercept term or as an error term centred on zero. Then, if the data allowed, I might consider allowing other parameters in my model to vary by these groups and therefore take care of the interactions.

Arguably even categorical variables that some would consider inarguably philosophically 'fixed', can be incorporated as a modelled (allowed to vary by group) parameter. Gelman points out that such an approach can negate the 'classical' problem of multiple comparisons. See http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/unpublished/multiple2.pdf .

Will Morris
Masters of Philosophy candidate
Vesk Plant Ecology Lab
The School of Botany