[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm for more than two levels

David Atkins datkins at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 22 06:07:13 CEST 2010

 >Dear All,
 >
 >I am trying to estimating a three-level multinomial logit model using
 >MCMCglmm (I am not aware of other options for random effect
 >multinomial logit models). My question is: can MCMCglmm handle more
 >than two levels of nesting? I have been trying to find answers from
 >the documents without luck, and would really appreciate for some
 > examples if it is feasible at all. Many thanks.
 >
 >Best,
 >Shige

Yes, MCMCglmm can fit multiple levels, though outside of social
sciences, I don't think mixed-model folks think in terms of "levels"
(quite possibly with good reason, due to cross-classification, etc.).

I've included an example below that uses data from a marital therapy
study (which I used in the following article):

Atkins, D. C. (2005). Using multilevel models to analyze marital and
family treatment data: Basic and advanced issues. Journal of Family
Psychology, 19, 98-110.

The data has 4 repeated measures, on 268 individuals, in 134 couples;
thus, a 3-level model in Raudenbush and Bryk jargon.

The outcome is the "dyadic adjustment scale", which is reasonably
normally distributed; however, I think the code for MCMCglmm should be
similar, with the exception of an additional "family" argument.

Hope it helps.

cheers, Dave

df <- read.table(file =
"http://depts.washington.edu/cshrb/newweb/stats%20documents/Atkins%202005%20data.txt",
					header = TRUE)
head(df)
names(df) <- casefold(names(df))

### create unique individual ID
df$ind.id <- with(df, interaction(id, sex))

### fit "3 level" model with lmer
library(lme4)

out.lmer <- lmer(das ~ therapy*time + (1 | id) + (1 | ind.id),
					data = df, verbose = TRUE)
summary(out.lmer)

### fit random slopes across couples
out.lmer2 <- lmer(das ~ therapy*time + (time | id) + (1 | ind.id),
					data = df, verbose = TRUE)
summary(out.lmer2)

### fit same models using MCMCglmm
library(MCMCglmm)

out.mcmc <- MCMCglmm(das ~ therapy*time,
					random = ~ id + ind.id,
					data = df, verbose = TRUE)
summary(out.mcmc$Sol)
summary(out.mcmc$VCV)
### results similar to out.lmer
### NOTE: this is functionally random-intercepts

prior <- list(R = list(V = 1, nu = 1),
				G = list(G1 = list(V = diag(2), nu = 2),
						  G2 = list(V = 1, nu = 1)))

out.mcmc2 <- MCMCglmm(das ~ therapy*time,
					random = ~ us(1 + time):id + ind.id,
					rcov = ~ units,
					data = df, verbose = TRUE,
					prior = prior)
summary(out.mcmc2$Sol)
summary(out.mcmc2$VCV)
### NOTE: this fits random intercept and slope for couples and
### intercept only for individuals
### results largely comparable to out.lmer2;
### using iterations, burn-in, thinning "out of the box"

--
Dave Atkins, PhD
Research Associate Professor
datkins at u.washington.edu

Center for the Study of Health and Risk Behaviors (CSHRB)
1100 NE 45th Street, Suite 300
Seattle, WA  98105
206-616-3879
http://depts.washington.edu/cshrb/
(Mon-Wed)

Center for Healthcare Improvement, for Addictions, Mental Illness,
   Medically Vulnerable Populations (CHAMMP)
325 9th Avenue, 2HH-15
Box 359911
Seattle, WA 98104?
206-897-4210