[R-sig-ME] Workaround for my trouble installing lme4a

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 15 16:24:27 CEST 2010

Hello, since my difficulties installing lme4a are buried in another
thread, I'm creating a new thread more relevant to the problem.  In
working through this email, I did find a solution (at the bottom), but I
still have a question after that.

I have fetched the entire project tree using subversion.  Here is my
sessionInfo.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 Patched (2009-12-29 r50852)
i686-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US       LC_NUMERIC=C         LC_TIME=en_US
  [4] LC_COLLATE=C         LC_MONETARY=C        LC_MESSAGES=en_US
  [7] LC_PAPER=en_US       LC_NAME=C            LC_ADDRESS=C
[10] LC_TELEPHONE=C       LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.10.1

I have installed all of the dependencies in lme4a/DESCRIPTION, including
Rcpp and the correct version of Matrix.  The command
'R CMD INSTALL lme4a' fails when it gets to the following instruction:

g++ -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include
-I"/usr/local/lib/R/library/Matrix/include"
-I"/usr/local/lib/R/library/Rcpp/include"   -fpic  -g -O2 -c
glmFamily.cpp -o glmFamily.o

One thing I notice is that the one of the -I switches does not match how
my system is installed (I have not done anything special in my R
installation).

Specifically, my version of Rcpp (0.7.11) does not have an include
directory.  The header files appear to be in
/usr/local/lib/R/library/Rcpp/lib

I created a symbolic link for the missing include directory and
successfully built lme4a.

My question is, how are the -I switches constructed?  Are they
hard-coded in the package source somewhere?  Did something go wrong in
my Rcpp install?

Kevin

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program