[R-sig-ME] Another case of -1.0 correlation of random effects

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 13 17:19:40 CEST 2010

Ben Bolker wrote:
>   In that case, just go to http://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/?group_id=60
> and follow the instructions:
>
> svn checkout svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/lme4
>
> then navigate to the lme4a directory and build/install it ...

It's not my day.  I go to the directory where the lme4a tree is located
and type "R CMD build lme4a" and get an error when the process gets to:

g++ -I/usr/local/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include
-I"/usr/local/lib/R/library/Matrix/include"
-I"/usr/local/lib/R/library/Rcpp/include"   -fpic  -g -O2 -c
glmFamily.cpp -o glmFamily.o

In file included from glmFamily.cpp:1:
glmFamily.h:5:18: error: Rcpp.h: No such file or directory
In file included from glmFamily.cpp:1:
[errors continue]

I looked at lme4a/src/glmFamily.h and find

#include <Rcpp.h>
#include <Rmath.h>

Now, I have both of these files in my installation, but not in the
locations referenced with the -I switches.  My Rcpp.h is found in
/usr/local/lib/R/library/Rcpp/lib (not include) and my Rmath.h is
found in /usr/local/lib/R/include which doesn't even show up in an -I
switch.

So, I don't know how these -I switches get generated, but there is a
problem somewhere, either with my installation or something else.

My installation was a standard build (configure; make; make install).

Yes, I fully understand what "unstable" means.  Hopefully these errors
are helpful.

Kevin

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program