[R-sig-ME] variance structure in lme/lmer

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Sun Apr 11 20:43:13 CEST 2010

Dear Alessia,

I think the first model is trying to fit the model you intend, the
problem is that it is failing to converge.

It is hard for me too see from the information I have, but I think the
problem is that the Mom effects are confounded with the residuals. Am
I right in thinking there is one observation per Mom in each
treatment? If so, you cannot separate the treatment specific Mom
variances from the treatment specific residual variances.

You have four options:

a) Drop Mom from the model and interpret the weight term as the
combined effects of Mom and residual. Here you assume the variances
differ between the treatments, and the Mom effects in the two
treatments are uncorrelated

b) Have "~at.level(Range, "invasive")|Mom" (i.e without the
interaction with Treatment) and the weight term.  Here you assume the
variances differ between the treatments (again measured by the weights
term), but the Mom effects have a positive covariance which is
estimated by the Mom variance component.

c) Use ASReml to fit a model where the Mom terms in the original model
defines a residual covariance matrix. This is the same as b) except
the covariances are free to go negative

You can imagine these models as trying to fit a 2x2 covariance matrix
for each range. The covariance matrix is the Mom+Residual
(co)variances for the two treatments. If we label the estimates as a)
weight in treatment 1, b) weight in treatment 2 and c) the Mom
estimate then these matrices have the form

a)  =   a 0
         0 b

b)  =   a+c  c
         c   b+c

where as ASReml would directly estimate the covariance matrix.

MCMCglmm cannot estimate c) in this case because it would not allow
the Range interaction in the residual structure as well as the
Treatment interaction. This is an over sight on my part but do not
have time in the next few months to remedy it.

Cheers,

Jarrod