[R-sig-ME] lme and prediction intervals

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 7 16:15:17 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the discussion on this point.  I think I am beginning to
> understand what is requested in general although I am not sure I am
> quite up to John's level of detail.
>
> I have a formula in mind, based on what John describes as "teasing the
> variance-covariance structure apart, then putting it back together",
> but the justification for the calculation is still somewhat vague.
>
> The left Choelseky factor for the penalized least squares problem to
> determine the conditional estimates of the fixed effects and the
> conditional modes of the random effects (also the conditional means,
> in the case of a linear model) is of the form
>
> L        0
> RZX'  RX'
>
> where L, RZX and RX are a sparse Cholesky decomposition (L), a dense q
> by p matrix (RZX) and an upper triangular p by p matrix (RX), all
> stored in the mer object returned by lmer.  The variance-covariance
> matrix of the estimators of the fixed-effects parameters, conditional
> on a value of the random effects vector is (RX'RX)^{-1} =
> RX^{-1}RX^{-1}'.  (This is one of the few cases when it is appropriate
> to evaluate the inverse of a matrix, because RX is triangular.).
> When multiplied by s^2 this is the matrix used to evaluate standard
> errors and correlations of the fixed-effects estimators.
>
> I think what we are seeking is the marginal variance-covariance matrix
> of the parameter estimators (marginal with respect to the random
> effects random variable, B), which would have the form of the inverse
> of the crossproduct of  a (q+p) by p matrix composed of the vertical
> concatenation of - L^{-1}RZX RX^{-1} and RX^{-1}.  (Note: You do *not*
> want to calculate the first term by inverting L, use solve(L, RZX,
> system = "L"") - don't even think about using solve(L) - don't!,
> don't!, don't! - have I made myself clear? - don't do that (and we all
> know that someone will do exactly that for a very large L and then
> send out messages about "R is SOOOOO SLOOOOW!!!! :-) )

I know that someone is going to be tempted to try it and then find
that it isn't that slow.  I should have been more precise.  If you
have a nested sequence of grouping factors for the random effects
(which includes the case of a single grouping factor) then the matrix
L has a special property that they pattern of non-zeros in the inverse
is the same as the pattern in L itself.  You still don't want to
invert large matrices to solve a linear system when you can do that
directly but evaluating the inverse will not explode in complexity on
you.  However, if you try it with non-nested grouping factors it will
explode in complexity.