[R-sig-ME] lme and prediction intervals

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 7 07:47:35 CEST 2010

There is no uncertainty about SEs of predictions, once the
prediction problem has been properly delimited.  As often,
the problem has to be sufficiently well defined that "integrate
random and fixed effects variance components" (not the
language that I would use) has, in any specific instance,
a well-defined meaning. Specifically, note that the SEs change
depending on the population for which predictions are made.
Use of MCMC does not cause this issue to go away, though
it may provide a way to address it once the prediction has
been properly delimited.

The DAAG package has the dataset ant111b.  One may fit
the model:

ant111b.lme <- lme(fixed=harvwt ~ 1, random = ~1 | site,
                   data=ant111b)

One might make predictions:
1) for a new parcel at an existing site
2) for a new parcel at a new site
3) for the average of two parcels at a new site

These will all lead to different SEs.  1 < 3 < 2

In these instances it is fairly easy, if one believes
the model, to calculate the different SEs.

More generally, it is necessary to tease the
variance-covariance structure apart, then putting
it back together in a manner that reflects the
desired generalization.  At least for various
special cases, this can be automated, based on
conventions for describing the intended
generalization, and there is software that does
this.

This is an issue for the use of AIC to compare mixed
effects models.  There is an implicit assumption that
generalizations are for individual units at the population
level.  This does not necessarily reflect the intended
use of the model results.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm