[R-sig-ME] lme: random effect nested within fixed effect

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Apr 6 22:54:11 CEST 2010

  in general "nested" is used to apply to the relationship between
random effects, not to the relationship between fixed & random effects
-- the relationship between random (population) and fixed (type) would
actually be an interaction between random and fixed.

  I'm still not 100% sure of the meaning of the design, but I would
strongly consider whether simply pooling (i.e., taking means) of
individuals within populations would make sense -- there's a nice paper
by Murtaugh (2009) in Ecology or Ecological Applications that makes this
point.  Then you wouldn't have to mess with mixed models at all, you
would just have 'populations' as your sample points.