[R-sig-ME] Standard errors for random effects

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Apr 1 17:06:16 CEST 2010

I don't think this is what the OP is referring to. If you want the standard errors of the conditional means, then you can extract them as follows:

(fm1 <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), sleepstudy))
attr( ranef(fm1, postVar = TRUE)[[1]], "postVar")

This is the variance/covariance matrix of the conditional means. So, grab what you need from the array here. The postVar argument is used to get the so called posterior means. However, I ssuepcta t some point this term will be deprecated and replaced with something more appropriate.