[R-sig-ME] multilevel circular regression

Henrik Parn henrik.parn at bio.ntnu.no
Tue Mar 30 12:44:09 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I wish to analyse the dispersal direction (angle 0-360) in juvenile
birds in relation to e.g. their sex. However, the movement may be
non-independent among individuals. For example juveniles from the same
nest may have non-independent dispersal behaviour due to genetic or
environmental effects, or individuals from nests in the same colony may
have a similar dispersal directions. Therefore, I wish to analyse
individual dispersal direction in a nested model. Something like:

direction ~ sex + (1|colony.id) + (1|nest.id:colony.id)
...using lmer-ish notation.

I have seen similar questions on the forum before
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/Rhelp10/2009-May/198498.html
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/53700.html
...but could not find any answers

I am aware of the packages circular and CircStats, and in particular the
function lm.circular.cl for a non-nested regression.

Has anyone tried mixed model circular regression using R? Any hints of
relevant packages or functions are welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Henrik

--
Henrik Pärn