[R-sig-ME] Very weird lmer results, compared to SAS proc mix

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 28 15:39:38 CEST 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Yong Wu <wuyong88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to bother you. I am struggling in this issue for long time. Wish
> somebody can help me.
>
> I first used lmer to do the following analysis.
> fullmodel=lmer(BMI~1+exposure+(age|ID),data, REML=FALSE)
>          reducemodel=lmer(BMI~1+(age|ID),data, REML=FALSE)
>          anova(full,red)

Both models are an unusual specification.  You have a random effect
with respect to age but no fixed effect for age.  This means that the
mean slope with respect to age across all ID's is constrained to be
zero, which for BMI is unlikely.  I think your model should be

BMI ~ 1 + exposure + age + (1 + age|ID)

I might even start with

BMI ~ 1 + exposure*age + (1 + age|ID)

unless exposure is at age zero.