[R-sig-ME] unbalanced data in nested lmer model

Jana Bürger jana.buerger at uni-rostock.de
Fri Mar 26 14:35:52 CET 2010

Dear Christian,

thank you for your answer, it was helpful and does reflect my own ways
of thought.
Now you point out that the random effects are somewhat irrelevant
becuase the fixed effects are the thing of interest.
In fact, the region and the farm are not just features of my study
design but have practical relevance for the response variable. Just I
don't want to know the exact parameters for the different regions and farms.

Am I wrong thinking that the random effects part of the model makes it
possible to compare magnitude of influence of the region and the farm,
and also of the sum of my fixed predictor variables (as given in Residuals)?

In this context, what are the consequences of the sructure of my data,
with a couple of regions with only one farm?

Any more helpful thoughts are appreciated.

--
Jana Bürger

Universität Rostock
Agrar-  und Umweltwissenschaftliche Fakultät
FG Phytomedizin
Satower Straße 48
18059 Rostock

Tel. 0381-498 31 71