[R-sig-ME] Options for prediction from lmer

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 11 23:52:34 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:17 PM, David Hsu <dhsu2 at uw.edu> wrote:
> Dear list (and especially the keepers of nlme / lme4),

> To sharpen my previous post on this topic, I'd like to get predictions
> and estimated errors of the predictions out of a model with correlated
> random coefficients. In lmer() language, the model is written as:

> y ~ x1 + x2 + (1 + x3 + x4 | group)

> Q1:  Can I get predictions and associated errors with lme()?  If I use
> lme(), I can get the predictions using predict(), but how do I get
> errors on the predictions?

First, you define them.  You are combining parameters and random
variables in your predictions and I'm not sure what it would mean to
assess the variability of those predictions.  A Bayesian may be able
to make sense of it but I can't get my head around it.

> Q2:  Can I get predictions and associated errors with lmer()?  If I
> use lmer(), I thought I could get the predictions and errors by
> simulation (this is empirical Bayes, I think) by using mcmcsamp().  It
> works for a single random coefficient, but it doesn't seem to work for
> a model with multiple correlated random coefficients, giving me the
> following error:

> Error in .local(object, n, verbose, ...) :
>   Code for non-trivial theta_T not yet written

As it says, the code has not yet been written.  You may want to
consider Jarrod's MCMCglmm package instead.