[R-sig-ME] Size/metric of variance components in lme and lmer

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Tue Mar 9 22:07:13 CET 2010

Stuart:

Not sure I know the answers, but a few thoughts. What covariance? In your non-nested model I don't think the random effects are assumed correlated are they? Doug Bates will certainly not be happy with what I do next, but it's one way to think about this.

An algebraic (not computational) expression for the variance of a mixed-effects model is var(y) = V = ZDZ' + sigma^2I

Where Z is the model matrix for the random effects, D is the variance/covariance of the random effects, sigma^2 is the residual variance and I is the identity matrix.

In your nested model, Z has a rather simple structure and D is a scalar. In you non-nested model, Z has a more complex structure denoting the linkage of students to multiple teachers and D is diagonal with I think D = [D_1, D_2] where D_1 = diag(0.75066, ..., 0.75066) and D_2 = diag(0.39171, ..., 0.39171).

In the first nested case, V will be block diagonal denoting no covariance between students in other teacher's classrooms. There will only be covariances between students in the same classroom. The portion ZDZ' will be pretty simple with the block diagonal elements all equal to the scalar variance.

In the non-nested case, Z will have no simple structure. It will be a horizontal concatenation of Z= [Z_1, Z_2] where Z_1 is the model matrix of the random effects for the students and Z_2 is the model matrix of the random effects for the teachers. I think in Z_1, there will be covariances between students who shared the same teacher, but it will not be bllock-diagonal. Let me think just about Z_1 and the corresponding part of D_1 for just a moment. The diagonal elements of the matrix V formed from Z_1 and D_1 will be larger in some places reflecting the multiple students that shared that teacher.

I *think* in some hand calcs I am looking at on my notes here, that would increase the var(y) to some extent and maybe why you see the larger variance in the non-nested case.

In any event, I am recommending that you maybe do these same hand calcs on your own and break this down to see why the variances would be different. I have done this many, many times and while tedious, it has always led to an answer in regards to this exact question.