[R-sig-ME] Effect Size in lme

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Tue Mar 9 16:49:44 CET 2010

IMHO, this is a worthless endeavor. The statistic you note below is typical in meta-analysis where you want to find a linear relationship between two continuous variables. There was a big push in my field (education) to always publish some form of a standardized effect size alongside all results.

I always thought this was just plain silly since the linear model itself gives a more natural measure of an effect. That is, isn't that what the effect of some covariate is anyway? I never found it reasonable to then convert this to some standardized coefficient (no longer on the metric used for the analysis) to aid in the interpretation. I think it does exactly the opposite. You now have some number that is not on the same metric as the original variable that is supposed to help you think more about the original variable?

When I want to think about variability of some variable, I prefer the standard deviation and not the variance since the sd is on the same scale as the metric of interest and it is therefore directly interpretable.

With that said, with mixed effects models, I think this issue is a bit more complex. I don't mean to open a can of worms, (but I'm sure I will) what is the right DF for the mixed effects model anyhow? The fixed effects do not follow a known distribution, although many treat them as though they follow an F distribution for convenience.