[R-sig-ME] Conditional logistic regression vs lmer

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 10:36:19 CET 2010

On 3 Mar 2010, at 22:23, David Duffy wrote:
> Was the study a matched case-control design, or is "match" the family or
> some natural clustering variable? How many cases and controls for each
> level of match?  (maybe this was in your earlier email.) If the strata are
> small (eg 1:1), then I would be nervous about (tIgE.Resp|match) giving a
> meaningful estimate, cf c.c ~ tIgE.Resp + (1|match)+ (1|Run) + (1|Box).

The study is a matched case/control, with matched 3 controls for each case. On top of that I have 4 independent cohorts, which I would see as random terms --though my example above does not include cohort because I had data for only one at that point.

> You might read over the intro to the paper by Liang, Qaqish and Zeger on
> the GEE for binary data in JRSSB (?1990 or so), where they contrast the
> different approaches to clustered data.  Basically, the (usual) GLMM fits
> a parametric model for the intercepts for each stratum, while the
> CLR discards this information, and for a categorical covariate is "just"
> a permutation test.

I'll look into it. Thanks!

Federico C. F. Calboli
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Imperial College, St. Mary's Campus
Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG

Tel +44 (0)20 75941602   Fax +44 (0)20 75943193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com