[R-sig-ME] Running repeated measures in lme4

Emma Stone Emma.Stone at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 13:19:29 CET 2010

Dear all,

I wander if you can help.

I am running a repeated measures model with lmer.I have 8 sites, at each I
conducted an experiment with treatments which have 4 levels. Each treatment
was conducted only once per site, but each site has one of each of the
treatment levels so it is balanced. Obviously the treatments within sites
are the repeated measures component, and I want to look at differences
between treatments within sites, I am not really interested in the site
group effect but need to incorporate it. So I have set up my model as
follows:

model1<-lmer~(minutes~treatment+(treatment|site), data = data)

But when I run the model, it gives no variance for the group level effect
as shown below.

Random effects:
 Groups   Name        Variance Std.Dev. Corr
 site     (Intercept) 0.00000  0.00000
          treatment   0.00000  0.00000    NaN
 Residual             0.07707  0.27762
Number of obs: 32, groups: site, 8

Is this because I only have one replicate of each treatment level at each
site? Can anyone help?

Thanks

Emma
University of Bristol