[R-sig-ME] R2 measure in mixed models?

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Mar 2 02:30:11 CET 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Juliet Hannah wrote:

> How would you go about summarizing the how much variation a SNP (fixed effect)
> explains (in the mixed model setting)/ or the "strength" of the SNP.

In a way, that is an easy one, as we can plug in our estimates for the
minor allele frequency and genotypic means into the population genetic
model for the trait, where our estimates of the total genetic and
environmenal variances will usually come from other (pedigree based)
studies.  The contribution of the fixed effect is expressed as a
proportion of the genetic covariation between related individuals in the
population (including with themselves).  It seems to me that if one wanted
to do this all in a single model, the SNP would be included as a random
effect.  The usual measured genotypes model fitted to pedigree data ends
up estimating the genotypic means and the residual genetic variance, which
I don't find completely satisfactory.

It becomes more interesting for categorical traits/GLMMs, where
some assumptions about gene by gene interaction and the appropriate link
function have to be made.

Cheers, David.