[R-sig-ME] Conditional logistic regression vs lmer

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 08:40:41 CET 2010

On 23 Feb 2010, at 17:32, Federico Calboli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am doing a conditional logistic regression with clogit() of library survival, but I have a number of random factors I'd like to add to my model and I was thinking of lmer...
>
> clg.tigeR = clogit(c.c ~ tIgE.Resp + strata(match), data.ready)
>
> and all is good. I also have two more variables, both random which I'd like to use, but I am not 100% sure what's the way to go with lmer. I suspect I would need to specify a different intercept for each strata, but seems to baffle me at the moment. The code below might do what I want, but I have no idea if that's correct (i.e. does it match the clogit one + two more random effects?):
>
> lmer.tigeR = lmer(c.c ~ tIgE.Resp + (tIgE.Resp|match) + (1|Run) + (1|Box), family = binomial, data.ready)
>
> lmer.tigeR is computed without problems btw.

I forgot to mention that tIgE.Resp is a continuous variable, so I have serious douts my lmer code is equivalent to the clogit one.

Best,

Federico

--
Federico C. F. Calboli
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics

Tel +44 (0)20 75941602   Fax +44 (0)20 75943193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com