[R-sig-ME] lmer book draft

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 19 00:20:08 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Rob Goedman <robjgoedman at me.com> wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> After my previous message I figured out how to work around the compile issue and
> have been able to get all 4 test scripts (for chapters 1, 2, 4 and 5) to work on MacOS
> SnowLeopard using 64 bit R.2.11 (but I think the same fix might also work on R.2.10,
> on Leopard and for 32 bit). It also required a later version of the Matrix package
> (available on R-forge).
>
> If someone needs help, they can just send me an email. It requires a temporary (just
> to install lme4a) change to a system file (alloca.h). I'm sure its not the final solution, but
> it seems to work for now.

Thanks Rob.  Indeed it is the problem with alloca.h that is hanging up
the compilation on Mac OSX.  The conflict is between a definition in
lme4utils.h, which does not have a prototype, and a definition in
header files downstream from the string header file, which does have a
prototype.

If you know an identifier for the compiler under Mac OSX that I can
use in an ifdef clause I will change that.  Not to worry if you don't,
I can check with Simon, or even grep through the R sources until I
find it.

An alternative, of course, it to remove that definition from a header
file that is included by C++ code.