[R-sig-ME] lmer book draft

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 18 16:10:06 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Philip A. Viton <viton.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Dear Douglas Bates:

> It was very kind of you to post a draft of the lmer book on the r-forge
> site, but I was wondering: was the omission of (the very short) chapter 3 an
> oversight, or is it really not available?

Chapter 3 is still in outline form, which is why it is apparently so
short.  I am adding to it but, as these things tend to go, slowly.  I
will also add more topics to chapter 4 and extend chapter 5.  If you
make it all the way to the end of chapter 5 you will find that it
kind-of drops off a cliff at the end.  There will probably be 5 or 6
more chapters after that plus a couple of appendices.

I made these chapters available so that I don't need to explain the
use of profiling when others begin using the development version of
lme4.

I have taken the liberty of copying this reply to the
R-SIG-Mixed-Models mailing list in case others are wondering about the
organization.

By the way, I have been able to build the lme4a package for Windows on
Uwe's win-builder.r-project.org.  I checked the R-forge site for
packages this morning but they haven't been re-built since last week.
The latest SVN check-in that was built is revision 637 and the current
revision is 650.