[R-sig-ME] Repeated measures design in R

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sun Feb 14 20:58:32 CET 2010

  Your design looks reasonable.  Convergence failures usually have
something to do with weak identifiability -- not quite enough
information in the data to fit the model.  It's hard to tell from
just the time-1 data you've presented here.  It does look like the
data are a bit non-normal, although not terribly extremely.  I don't
know if you really need a continuous-time correlation model (corCAR1);
are your data irregularly sampled in time?  corAR1 might be better ...
You might also try assuming independence between the time and intercept
random effects (see Pinheiro and Bates 2000) to squeeze out a tiny bit
more model-fitting capability.  The other extreme is to go to a Bayesian
approach which uses a mildly informative prior to stabilize the fitting ...

--
Ben Bolker
Associate professor, Biology Dep't, Univ. of Florida