[R-sig-ME] Convergence check in lmer()

David Hsu dhsu2 at uw.edu
Fri Feb 5 07:46:33 CET 2010

Dear all,

(Sorry for the double posting, but the message was apparently scrubbed before).

I've been running a series of large models on a remote computer, and store
the model results as .rda files after every run to free up memory.  However,
I'm worried that some of the models did not in fact reach convergence.  How
can I check whether the models reached convergence from the resulting model
objects?

My example code, where M1 is the model object that I am storing:

M1 <- lmer( y ~ avgprcp + avgtemp + (1 + mp + dv |acct), data = dat,
verbose=TRUE)
# you can see the message that it did not reach convergence after the
iterations
save(M1, file="M1.rda")
rm(list=ls())
load("M1.rda")