[R-sig-ME] r examples of mixed models from scratch

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Jan 14 21:13:34 CET 2010

Juliet Hannah wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm trying to learn more about mixed models in detail. Does anyone know of
> any examples where code is provided showing simple examples of doing
> this from scratch. For example, setting up a likelihood, using optim, and things
> like that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Juliet

  If I understand what you want to do correctly, this is probably not
something you want to mess with -- the computational details of
implementing mixed model fitting are tricky. If you do need a "custom"
mixed model, implementing them in AD Model Builder or WinBUGS will
probably be your best bet (there are R interfaces to both of these
programs).

  Ben Bolker

--
Ben Bolker
Associate professor, Biology Dep't, Univ. of Florida