[R-sig-ME] The effects of adding by-subject or by-item random intercepts

Daniel Ezra Johnson danielezrajohnson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 13:38:18 CET 2009

Shrinkage is not the main issue, as I see it here. When the predictor
of interest is Sex you should include by-subject random effect(s),
when it's Frequency you should include by-item. Probably you should
include both in both cases. You can't do accurate hypothesis testing
on Sex and Frequency if you ignore the variation among Subjects and
Items.