[R-sig-ME] z transform versus random intercept

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 3 16:12:42 CET 2009

As you can imagine the two models handle the variability between the
subjects very differently.  The use of scaling is a rather crude way
of handling this variability, which is understandable in that it
originated at a time when computing resources were much less powerful
than they are today.  The problem with scaling is that it is very
sensitive to the extreme observations, which are the ones that are
most likely to be outliers or in some way problematic.

The mixed-effects model determines the distribution of the random
effects for the subjects to balance fidelity to the data with
complexity of the model.  John Tukey referred to this as "borrowing
strength" between the subjects.  You assume that the subjects come
from a population of varying abilities and damp down the individual
estimates toward the population means, as long as doing so can produce
a reasonable fit.

If, like me, you think in pictures, you might find the slides at
http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/slides/2009-07-21-Seewiesen/5LongitudinalD.pdf
helpful in understanding this shrinkage idea.