[R-sig-ME] R-sig-mixed-models Digest, Vol 36, Issue 3

Malcolm Fairbrother m.fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Dec 3 13:08:05 CET 2009

Dear Stephen,

If I understand correctly, you're trying to estimate the unique effect of group for each specific region, while also taking into account what you know about overall differences across individuals (since, I presume, individuals with a large region 1 will also tend to have larger regions 2-30, etc.).

To me, that implies:

lmer(y ~ group + (group | region) + (1 | subject))

This will get you a random (unique) intercept for each subject and each region, and a unique effect of (each level of) group for each separate region, net of the average effect of group across all regions, captured by the fixed effect. The unique effect is your primary interest, as I take it.

Hope that's useful.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Dr Malcolm Fairbrother