[R-sig-ME] Mixed models and mediation

David Atkins datkins at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 1 22:22:09 CET 2009

Adam--

Not 100% sure what you're looking for, but a couple resources:

-- Krull and MacKinnon 2001 in Multivariate Behavioral Research describe
mediation in multilevel designs

-- Shrout and Bolger 2002 in Psychological Methods discuss use of
bootstrap to estimate SE of indirect effect

-- Kenny et al. 2004 in Evaluation Review present methods for mediation
in longitudinal treatment designs, in which they extend the classic
Baron and Kenny criteria, focusing on the c to c' change.

Hope that helps.

cheers, Dave

--
Dave Atkins, PhD
Research Associate Professor
datkins at u.washington.edu

Adam,

The following article might help:

MacKinnon, D. P., Lockwood, C. M., Hoffman, J. M., West, S. G., &
Sheets, V. (2002).  A comparison of methods to test mediation and
other intervening variable effects.  Psychological Methods, 7, 83-104.

It argues that you can test mediation very simply by taking the
maximum of two p-values.  One is the regression of the mediator M on
the independent variable X.  The other is the coefficient for M when
the dependent variable Y is regressed on M and X.  This seems slightly
better than the Sobel test, and it may avoid the need for
bootstrapping.  (I have also run some simulations, and, indeed, this
method is very good.)

Another article by Lois Gelfand (2008?, maybe 2009) in "Journal of
General Psychology" reviews the more recent literature but does not (I
think) change the main conclusion.

So far as I can tell, the use of mixed models should not change these
conclusions.  You still have to get p-values, though.

Jon

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
Editor: Judgment and Decision Making (http://journal.sjdm.org)