[R-sig-ME] test significance of single random effect

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sun Nov 29 03:49:34 CET 2009

  I think it will be conservative (in the sense of underestimating the
significance of the random effect), because of the well-known(?)
boundary issue (the null hypothesis for random effects, variance==0, is
on the boundary of the feasible space).

  I went a little overboard in testing this: see
<http://glmm.wikidot.com/random-effects-testing> , and feel free to
improve it ...