[R-sig-ME] correlation structure with glmer?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 23 21:08:18 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Alice Shelly <alice at blarg.net> wrote:
> Hello-
> Is there any way to introduce correlation structure into a glmer model?
> I tried using
> correlation = corAR1(form= ~age|plot)
> as you would in lme, but I was ignored (so rude).

Well, first you would need to decide how to define such a model.  It
is not trivial.  For a linear mixed-effects model you can separately
modify the specification of the mean and the variance of the
conditional distribution of the response given the random effects.
For common generalized linear mixed models (family = binomial or
family = poisson) you can't.  Once you have the conditional
independence assumption and you specify the conditional mean you have
completely specified the conditional distribution.