[R-sig-ME] Penalty = shrinkage = ?

Prew, Paul Paul.Prew at ecolab.com
Thu Nov 19 21:37:05 CET 2009

Douglas,  thank you for the explanation and the slides.  I understand the mixed modeling approach better now, or think I do.  Shrinkage seems analogous to weighted least squares (a method that's commonly taught and rarely if ever used, from what I've seen).  Regards, Paul

Paul Prew  |  Statistician
651-795-5942   |   fax 651-204-7504
Ecolab Research Center  | Mail Stop ESC-F4412-A
655 Lone Oak Drive  |  Eagan, MN 55121-1560