[R-sig-ME] R-sig-mixed-models Digest, Vol 35, Issue 4

David Airey david.airey at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Nov 6 15:27:25 CET 2009

Thanks for the responses.

We'll start simulations with nlme(). Once we get things working, I'll
ask about using nlmer().

[Motivating science (skip if not interested in drug genetics!): There
is likely a need for nlmer(), because the projected data set is 100
curves, each curve estimated by 12 dose levels, and the context is a
genome scan. If feasibility doesn't kill this simulation project, then
it might be a good testing bed for nlmer(). The curves can be grouped
(nested) in one of two possible alleles at each genetic marker along
each chromosome. There are only two possible alleles at each marker,
because the subjects are from a set of recombinant inbred lines
derived from two parental standard inbred mouse strains. The twist
here is that each curve is estimated by 24 independent mice per line,
2 mice per dose level, rather than exposing mice to multiple doses to
achieve a true repeated measures design. The key is that a curve per
RI line can still be estimated with independent mice, because mice
within RI line are isogenic (genetic clones). The environment of each
mouse will of course be assumed equivalent, otherwise this design is
problematic. If you have 24 mice per RI line, how do you spend them in
the context of drug quantitative genetics? The dose response curve is
extremely important to know. Do you put 8 independent mice in each of
three dose levels and use a linear model? Or can you distribute the
mice 2 mice per dose level, and use a nonlinear model such as the four
parameter logistic function? What is typically done in drug response
quantitative genetics with mice is to use a _single_ dose level that
was optimized for differences among mice in a small pilot study.
That's feasible but arguably inadequate.]

-Dave

I asked:

--
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Pharmacology Research Assistant Professor