[R-sig-ME] Prediction, Poisson and Intercepts

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Fri Oct 23 19:04:29 CEST 2009

Hi Manuel,

The function below is taken from the MCMCglmm course notes that will
be available soon. It  generates predictions for GLMM, and the random
effects can be marginalised if you wish (I think this is what you
want?). For the Poisson distribution this can be done exactly, for
distributions such as the binomial, approximations have to be used.

mu is the fixed effect prediction, var is the sum of the variance
components you want to average over.

Cheers,

Jarrod

predict.MCMCglmm<-function(mu, var=NULL, family="gaussian"){
   if(family=="gaussian"){
     return(mu)
   }
   if(family=="poisson"){
     return(exp(mu+0.5*var))
   }
   if(family=="binomial"){
     return(inv.logit(mu-0.5*var*tanh(mu*(1+2*exp(-0.5*var))/6)))
   }
}

On 23 Oct 2009, at 17:37, Manuel Morales wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have a question about how to efficiently generate predictions from a
> poisson mixed model in lmer. A previous post by Bert Gunter
> (http://markmail.org/message/22ncrgbt76bj5bmo) suggested the
> following:
>
> model.matrix(terms(a.lmer.model),new.data) %*% fixef(a.lmer.model)
>
> However, the back-transformed values from these predictions do not
> match
> the original means because the fixed effect estimate of the intercept
> does not include the random effects (see code below).
>
> One alternative is:
>
> new.Intercept <- log(mean(exp(coef(a.lmer.model)[[1]][,1])))
> new.fixed <- fixef(a.lmer.model)
> new.fixed[1] <- new.Intercept
> model.matrix(terms(a.lmer.model),newdata) %*% new.fixed
>
> But this seems awfully clunky ... Any suggestions for a more elegant
> solution?
>
> Demonstration code for mean model below:
> library(reshape)
> library(lme4)
>
> seed=1
> data <- melt(sapply(c(.1,.5,1,5),function(x) rpois(50,x)))
>
> mean(data$value)  #Overall mean
>
> m.glm <- glm(value~1,data=data, family=poisson)
> exp(coef(m.glm))     #Exponent of intercept = population mean
>
> m.lmer <- lmer(value~(1|X2),data=data, family=poisson, nAGQ=20)
> ranef(m.lmer)$X2+fixef(m.lmer)==coef(m.lmer)
> mean(exp(unlist(coef(m.lmer))))   #Mean of exp of coefs = overall mean
>

> --
> http://mutualism.williams.edu

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.