[R-sig-ME] Design question about repeated measures as nested vscrossed structures

Ista Zahn izahn at psych.rochester.edu
Tue Oct 6 23:00:14 CEST 2009

Thanks for all the responses, it helps. Professor Turner -- I realize
my diagram showing students nested withing exam subject is misleading
-- my question was "why is it less misleading to diagram exam subject
as being nesting within students?". Your response, in conjunction with
Professor Bates' response helped clear that up for me (i.e., it
doesn't really make sense to describe nesting either way: it's
crossed!).

Also, I recognize (as you both pointed out) that the example is
somewhat trivial and with only two levels of exam subject there are
much simpler ways to look at it. I wanted to keep the example as
simple as possible in order to focus on the nested/crossed issue.

It's confusing when people use the "hammer and nail" approach,
especially as with the case I quoted the authors take care to
distinguish between crossed and nested structures in other contexts. I
had assumed that because they paid a lot of attention to this in a
previous discussion they would be careful with their examples, but I
think now they were just being a bit sloppy.

Thanks again for helping me understand.

-Ista