[R-sig-ME] lme vs. lmer

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 29 20:36:06 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Christopher David Desjardins
<desja004 at umn.edu> wrote:
> Thanks Ben. I knew about the discussion with the dfs and p-values. I guess
> what I was really wondering was if lme was deprecated, which you've
> answered.
> Chris

As Ben said, lmer does not currently allow for parameterized
correlation structures or parameterized weight functions as lme does.
If you need those you should use lme.  For models that can be fit by
both I would use lmer.  It is more reliable and usually faster.