[R-sig-ME] zero inflated and spatial autocorrelation

Highland Statistics Ltd. highstat at highstat.com
Wed Sep 23 19:08:19 CEST 2009

> (sorry if the message was double posted...)
>
> Good afternoon,
>
> I currently try to estimate the relative contribution of habitat quality
> and a proxy of conspecific attraction for a bird species (3 years of
> data: 2000, 2004 and 2008) with a model of the form
>
> Abundance (year t) ~ Abundance (year t-1) + Habitat_quality + Epsi
>
> I would like being able to compare what happened between 2000-2004 to
> 2004-2008
> and would need some advices.
>
> Problems are
> 1/ that the distribution of abundance (integer values) is zero inflated,
> with 80% of my grid cells "tagged" with 0

The negative binomial can cope with some degree of zeros....but 80% is a
lot. I guess a zero inflated distribution would be better. Besides...I
can't remember wether gamm in mgcv is estimating the theta, or whether
it uses a fixed value.

Have a look how these guys fitted their models....it is similar:

http://www.unavarra.es/metma3/Papers/Invited/VerHoef.pdf

The first author published a couple of similar papers. But I don't think
that this is going to be a simple call to a gamm function.

> 2/ I need to account for spatial autocorrelation (which is detectable
> below 10 km, my grid being 3 x 3 km in order to account for between
> years short dispersal).
>
> I lack some skills in statistics to fully handle this on my own

This is not easy..:-)

> Shall I run straight ahead with a gamm model which is the only one, to
> my knowledge, that can account for both the spatial autocorrelation
> structure (with for example correlation=corSpher(form=~(X+Y))) and the
> zero inflated distribution (with family= negbin) ?
> Or is there a way to relax some constraints on the distribution in order
> to handle overdispersion (induced by the ZI distribution) and thus trust
> the run of a glmmPQL with quasipoisson ?

Have a look at the VGAM package. Perhaps it can do this type of stuff by
now. If I remember well it can do smoothing with zero inflation. Not
sure if it can do correlation. As a quick-and-dirty approach you could
include s(X,Y) and capture the spatial pattern with such a 2-d smoother.
But that may be more for larger scale patterns? However....it may cause
trouble if your habitat stuff is collinear with spatial positions.

Have fun....this is not easy...but shit happens.

Alain

--

Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N, Saveliev, AA, and Smith, GM. Springer.
http://www.springer.com/life+sci/ecology/book/978-0-387-87457-9

3. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Meesters, EHWG. Springer
http://www.springer.com/statistics/computational/book/978-0-387-93836-3

Other books: http://www.highstat.com/books.htm

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software
Highland Statistics Ltd.
6 Laverock road
UK - AB41 6FN Newburgh
Tel: 0044 1358 788177