[R-sig-ME] lmList in the nlme package [Was Re: Please reply me]

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Sep 20 16:46:49 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:06 AM, mino rezayi <mino.rezayi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Professor Bates,I am a M.S student in statistics and I need to study your book (Mixed Effect Models in S - Splus) to learn mixed effect model, but there is examples just for simple models  in your book, and in my data there is 5 covariates and 1response variable,I want to make a lmList but I can''t , and there is no example similier to my data , would you please help me?

I assume that you are using R, in which case it is probably more
productive to send your questions to the
R-SIG-Mixed-Models at R-project.org mailing list.  I have taken the
liberty of cc:ing the list on this reply.

The lmList function takes a formula like the formula for lm but with
an additional term of the form | grp at the end to describe the
grouping.  You would give the formula for your model and the data set.

Generally it is easier to help if you provide a reproducible example,
perhaps with generated data.

Also you should note that lmList does not fit a mixed-effects model.
It fits separate models to the data corresponding to each level of the
grouping factor.