[R-sig-ME] Problems with formula for highly pseudoreplicatemixed-effects system

Matthias Gralle matthias_gralle at eva.mpg.de
Thu Sep 17 18:53:02 CEST 2009

Thank you, David!

I have tried out a variant of your formula (pasting first gene and
species as gene_species):

 > duffymodel=lmer(APC ~ gene*species + FITC + (FITC|gene) +
(FITC|gene_species) + (FITC|species) + (1|day) + (1|day_repl),data=small)
Data: small
Models:
duffymodelred: APC ~ gene + species + FITC + (FITC | gene) + (FITC |
species) +
duffymodelred: (1 | day) + (1 | day_repl)
duffymodel: APC ~ gene * species + FITC + (FITC | gene) + (FITC |
gene_species) +
duffymodel: (FITC | species) + (1 | day) + (1 | day_repl)
Df AIC BIC logLik Chisq Chi Df Pr(>Chisq)
duffymodelred 13 8625.3 8686.2 -4299.7
duffymodel 17 8562.3 8641.9 -4264.1 71.068 4 1.350e-14 ***
---
Signif. codes: 0 ‘***’ 0.001 ‘**’ 0.01 ‘*’ 0.05 ‘.’ 0.1 ‘ ’ 1

At first sight, this would seem to mean that gene:species is indeed a
highly significant interaction. Now, what I meant by pseudoreplication
is that the several hundred (or in my full data set, several thousand)
cells in each experimental condition are not independent. They were all
treated in exactly the same way, but due to intrinsic variability they
express widely varying amounts of protein. I see in my data that
replicate experiments sometimes differ strongly in their slope APC~FITC,
even though each replicate contains several thousand data points. My
results seem to be much more reliable when I repeat the experiment
several times with independent cell treatment than when I increase the
number of cells measured in one experimental condition. That is why I
don't know if I can trust "your" formula.

Put another way, when I delete either (1|day) or (1|day_repl) from the
formula, the difference is also highly significant, but I don't trust this.

hatTrace would maybe give a clearer indication of what I mean: there are
too many residual degrees of freedom.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about testing for homogeneity of the
partial correlation coefficients. I can try to look it up, or can you
give me a hint ?

Hope this makes sense.

Matthias

--