[R-sig-ME] Repeated measures for unbalanced data in R

Adam D. I. Kramer adik at ilovebacon.org
Thu Sep 17 03:06:59 CEST 2009

Hi Manuel,

 	It's not quite clear from your question whether you are asking for
help choosing a statistical model IN GENERAL (not really the purpose of this
list, but sometimes people help out anyway) or whether you have a specific
model in mind and are askig for help RUNNING IT (in which case, you should
tell us what the model is, and mention what you're tried).

 	Regarding the MODEL question, it is not clear whether COUNTRY is
random (you're not looking for differences among countries, rather, you're
sampling countries and trying to tell whether there's a trend over time, so
you probably want

lmer(rate ~ year + (1|country), data=?)

 	...) or if YEAR is random (you're trying to look at differences
among countries, so you probably want

lmer(rate ~ country + (1|year), data=?)

 	...), though you may be empirically underidentified in the latter case.

...or maybe you want something else entirely. In any case, being as precise
as you can be about what you want to do and what the question is (i.e.,
"model help" or "method help" or "function help"), you may get better

--Adam