[R-sig-ME] How many groups is enough?

Emmanuel Charpentier emm.charpentier at free.fr
Mon Aug 31 23:47:58 CEST 2009

Le lundi 31 août 2009 à 07:33 -0500, Douglas Bates a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 3:25 AM, Ken Beath<ken at kjbeath.com.au> wrote:
> > On 31/08/2009, at 8:00 AM, Kingsford Jones wrote:
> >
> >> Here are some thoughts, which are just conjecture (caveat emptor).
> >> I'd be interested in hearing contrary facts or opinion.
> >>
> >> Because of the flexibility of mixed models I think it's hard to come
> >> up with rules of thumb here. To examine the various scenarios,
> >> simulations would need to look at effects of number of groups, number
> >> of observations within groups and the balance of those observations
> >> between groups, error variance, group variance, ratio of error and
> >> group variances, number of levels, types of random slopes, random
> >> effects covariance structure, error covariance structure, fixed
> >> effects structure, etc...  Clearly permutations of the above could
> >> lead to an awful lot of simulations, not to mention what happens when
> >> you move away from normal errors and work with GLMMs.
> >>
> >> My guess is that in general, for small numbers of groups (or just
> >> small between group variance?) the sampling distribution of the
> >> between group variance will have a long right tail and large spread.
> >> Because the REML estimates are unbiased this would imply that when you
> >> have few groups the majority (and perhaps a large majority) of the
> >> estimates will be low, while some will be very high.
> >>

> > One point, is that for most analyses we are not interested in estimates of
> > the random effect variances. My impression is that other parameter estimates
> > are fairly robust to the random effects variance, so if the models fit
> > sensibly then it seems a reasonable approach. One problem with a small
> > number of groups may be the use of Empirical Bayes, as it ignores the
> > estimate uncertainty. I assume somebody has written a paper on this,
> > advocating full Bayesian analysis. People seem happy to do random effects
> > meta-analysis with only a few trials.
>
> I agree that the precision of estimates of the variance components can
> be poor and that this is not that much of a problem when one is
> primarily interested in the estimates of the fixed-effects parameters.
>  (By the way, the statement that "REML estimates are unbiased" is not
> true in general.  Even in the simple, balanced cases where they are
> unbiased, I don't think it is an important property because the
> distribution of the estimator is so skewed that characterizing the
> distribution by its mean is unrealistic.).

This almost sounds as a plea for full Bayesian analysis (aiming at
assessing the posterior distribution of a parameter, rather than
gambling on a constant-but-forever-unknown value), possibly using
low-information conjugate priors. In his small but interesting textbook,
Jim Alberts illustrates the difficulty of assessing inter-groups
variance (or variance-like) parameters. By totally different wys, you
reach the same conclusions...

> I produced some plots of the profiled likelihood of the variance
> components for a simple, balanced example with 6 groups (a model for
> the Dyestuff data).  They are rather sobering although one should
> expect highly skewed patterns for a variance estimate (think of the
> simplest case of the estimate of a variance from the mythical i.i.d.
> Gaussian sample).  The plots are available in
> http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/slides/2009-07-21-Seewiesen/4PrecisionD.pdf

May I suggest that further releases of lmer (and possibly nlme) contain
at least a vignette pointing to this (and possibly your previous
presentations, that I found quite useful for explaining the intricacies
of mixed-model to non-statisticians) ? Of course, a full book should be
preferable (and I understand that this is one of your goals), but in the
interim, these slides should avoid you lot of similar questions on the
list.

Another suggestion : give in a vignette the current state of confidence
one should put in various parts of the lmer pckage ; for example, I
understand that you have had doubts about the mcmc algorithms : are
these doubts confirmed ? infirmed ? still lingering ? Can we use them
"safely" to get confidence intervals on fixed effects coefficients ? for
random effects variances ? or (heavens ...) feeding p-values to journal
editors that crave them (BTW : wht about "mcmcpavlues" in package
"languageR" ?) ? If not, what can be done to answer those basic
questions ?

Respectfully yours,

					Emmanuel Charpentier