[R-sig-ME] How many groups is enough?

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Mon Aug 31 10:25:27 CEST 2009

On 31/08/2009, at 8:00 AM, Kingsford Jones wrote:

> Here are some thoughts, which are just conjecture (caveat emptor).
> I'd be interested in hearing contrary facts or opinion.
>
> Because of the flexibility of mixed models I think it's hard to come
> up with rules of thumb here. To examine the various scenarios,
> simulations would need to look at effects of number of groups, number
> of observations within groups and the balance of those observations
> between groups, error variance, group variance, ratio of error and
> group variances, number of levels, types of random slopes, random
> effects covariance structure, error covariance structure, fixed
> effects structure, etc...  Clearly permutations of the above could
> lead to an awful lot of simulations, not to mention what happens when
> you move away from normal errors and work with GLMMs.
>
> My guess is that in general, for small numbers of groups (or just
> small between group variance?) the sampling distribution of the
> between group variance will have a long right tail and large spread.
> Because the REML estimates are unbiased this would imply that when you
> have few groups the majority (and perhaps a large majority) of the
> estimates will be low, while some will be very high.

One point, is that for most analyses we are not interested in
estimates of the random effect variances. My impression is that other
parameter estimates are fairly robust to the random effects variance,
so if the models fit sensibly then it seems a reasonable approach. One
problem with a small number of groups may be the use of Empirical
Bayes, as it ignores the estimate uncertainty. I assume somebody has
written a paper on this, advocating full Bayesian analysis. People
seem happy to do random effects meta-analysis with only a few trials.

Ken