[R-sig-ME] longitudinal analysis using lmer?

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Sat Aug 29 01:07:53 CEST 2009

On 29/08/2009, at 6:07 AM, Robert Terwilliger wrote:

> One more thing........
>
> What i sent was only a small sample of the data, just for the purpose
> of showing what kind of set we have.
>
> We have about 150 subjects, with starting ages between 8 and 21, with
> 3-5 data points (yearly visits) per subject.

This will be fine, although it isn't as good as having a smaller
number of complete series. One point is that they don't look
completely linear, so a polynomial (maybe quadratic) or regression
spline may be a better option. Judging by the scatter the random
effect variance will probably be close to zero.

Ken