[R-sig-ME] data layout for crossed factors w/interaction in linear mix models

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 21 23:01:58 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Rafael Diaz<tuteson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear All,

> I am trying to fit a simple linear mixed model (see below
> this paragraph) arising from a crossed factorial design with
> 2 factors and ubalanced number of replicates (from two to
> five) in each cell, but I keep getting an error message (see
> bottom of message).  The model is:

> yijk = intercept + ai + bj + abij + ejik, where:

> "intercept" is fixed, and the crosss factors, ai, i =
> 1,..,10, and bj, j= 1,..,10, are random.  I am
> interested in estimating the variance components of these
> factors AND their interaction.  I have tried:

> fm1 <- lmer(formula = V1~1 + (1|V2) + (1|V3) + (1|V4),
> data = 'datos') using two types of data layout for "

We will need more information before we can help you.  It is best if
you can make the data available in some form.  Otherwise, please
include the results of

library(lme4)
sessionInfo()
str(datos)
summary(datos)
fm1 <- lmer(V1 ~ 1 + (1|V2) + (1|V3) + (1|V4), datos)

and, if the error still occurs,

traceback()